- [Recruitment] I am looking for MPhil and Ph.D students start from January or September 2023. Interested candidates please send your CV, transcripts, and publications (if any) to me for consideration.
- [Recruitment] I am looking for postdoctoral researchers in data-driven optimization and control. Interested candidates please send your CV to me for consideration.
Dr. Xu is an assistant professor at Department of Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). He received the PhD degree (Industrial Engineering) from The University of Hong Kong, and master degree (Systems Engineering) and bachelor degree (Automation) from Huazhong University of Science and Technology. He also earned a bachelor degree (Business Administration) from Wuhan University. Prior to joining PolyU, he was an Assistant Professor at Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen, a Research Fellow at School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, and a Research Assistant at Department of Computer Science, City University of Hong Kong. Besides, He also worked as an intern at Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Science.
- Data-Driven Optimization and Control
- Complex Networked Systems
- UAV Applications in Emergency Management
- Aviation Safety and Reliability
- Internet of Things (IoT) Systems and Applications
(* refers to corresponding author and # refers to student)
Selected Journal Papers
Selected Conference Papers
- G. Xu, Y. Long#, X. Wang#, B. Xie*. Emergency Response Strategies and Fleet Scheduling considering Truck-Drone Collaboration. Journal of Safety and Environment. To appear. (Recommend Excellent Paper in the 16th International Symposium on Emergency Management)
- Y. Xu#, M. Fang, L. Chen*, G. Xu*, Y. Du, and C. Zhang. Reinforcement Learning with Multiple Relational Attention for Solving Vehicle Routing Problems. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 2021. DOI:10.1109/TCYB.2021.3089179
- X. Qiu, S. X. Xu, and G. Xu*. Pricing and Scheduling of Barge Hinterland Transportation Service for Inbound Containers. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 156, 102515, 2021.
- F. Li, C.H. Chen, G. Xu*, and L.P. Khoo. Hierarchical Eye-Tracking Data Analytics for Human Fatigue Detection in Traffic Control Center. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 50(5), 465-474, 2021.
- P. Shu#, Y. Sun#, B. Xie, S.X. Xu, and G. Xu*. Data-driven Shuttle Service Design for Sustainable Last Mile Transportation. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 49, 101344, 2021.
- G. Xu, R. Zhang#, S.X. Xu, X. Kou, and X. Qiu*. Personalized Multimodal Travel Service Design for sustainable intercity transport. Journal of Cleaner Production, 308, 127367, 2021.
- G. Xu, C.H. Chen, F. Li*, and X. Qiu. AIS Data Analytics for Adaptive Rotating Shift in Vessel Traffic Service. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 120(4), 749-767, 2020.
- X. Qiu and G. Xu*. Optimizing Rail Transport Service in a Dry Port System. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2019. DOI:10.1109/TEM.2019.2951915
- S. Shao, G. Xu*, M. Li, G.Q. Huang. Synchronizing E-commerce City Logistics with Sliding Time Windows. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 123, 17-28, 2019.
- G. Xu, M. Li, C.H. Chen, and Y. Wei*. Cloud Asset-enabled Integrated IoT Platform for Lean Prefabricated Construction. Automation in Construction, 93, 123-134, 2018.
- G. Xu*, J.W. Wang, G.Q. Huang, C.H. Chen. Data-Driven Resilient Fleet Management for Cloud Asset-enabled Urban Flood Control. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 19(6), 1827-1838, 2018.
- Y. Long#, Y. Sun#, G. Xu*, and P. Shu#. Collaborative Vehicle Dispatching for Resilient and Fair Emergency Response. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), Singapore, 2021.
- A. Zhu#*, G. Xu, P. Pauwels, B. De Vries, and M. Fang. Deep Reinforcement Learning for Prefab Assembly Planning in Robot-Based Prefabricated Construction. IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE), Lyon, France, 2021.
- Y. Zhao#, G. Xu*, Y. Du, and M. Fang. Learning Multi-Agent Communication with Policy Fingerprints for Adaptive Traffic Signal Control. IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE), Hong Kong, 2020.
- P. Shu#*, Y. Zhao#, Y. Sun#, and G. Xu*. Spatial-Temporal Taxi Demand Prediction Using LSTM-CNN. IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE), Hong Kong, 2020.
- G. Xu*, F. Li, C.H. Chen, C.H. Lee, Y.C. Lee. Toward Resilient Vessel Traffic Service: A Sociotechnical Perspective. ISPE International Conference on Transdisciplinary Engineering, Singapore, 2017.
- Shared Dynamics Learning for Large-Scale Travelling Salesman Problem. With Y. Xu, M. Fang, L. Chen, Y. Du, and C. Zhang.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning for Real-time Assembly Planning in Robot-based Prefabricated Construction. With A. Zhu, T. Dai, P. Pauwels, B. Vries, and M. Fang.
- An integrated standard-risk multiplex network based framework for risk analysis in construction engineering. With F. Chen, Y. Wei, and H. Ji.
- Data-Driven Dynamic Freight Routing in Scheduled Transport System. With S. Shao and Y. Li.
- 2022-2025: Data-Driven Optimization and Intelligent Decision-Making for Cooperated Disaster Responses of Cross-Region Emergency Fleets, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), PI
- 2021-2024: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Aircraft Maintenance under Uncertainties, HK PolyU AAE Internal Start-up Fund, PI
- 2021-2024: Data Analytics for Resilient Air Transport Network, HK PolyU Start-up Fund, PI
- 2021-2022: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Resilient Highway Traffic Control in Urban Agglomerations, Research Fund of Shenzhen STIC, PI
- 2019-2021: Data-Driven Resilience Optimization Strategies for Urban Emergency Rescue, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), PI
- 2019-2020: Multi-Agent Systems for Intelligent Transportation Management and Control in Urban Agglomerations, CCF-Tencent Open Research Fund, PI
- 2019-2021: Big Data Analytics for Resilient Public Transportation Systems, Research Fund of Shenzhen STIC, PI
- 2019-2021: Intelligent Optimization and Control of Multimodal Green Transportation under Internet of Vehicles, Shenzhen High-Level Talents Start-up Fund, PI
- 2018-2020: Intelligent Optimization Strategies for Resilient Urban Metro System, HITsz Start-up Fund, PI
- [PolyU-PG] Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Industry (2022Fall)
- [PolyU-UG] Safety, Reliability and Compliance (2022Spring)
- [HITsz-UG] Mathematical Programming (2020Spring, 2021Spring)
- [HITsz-UG] Internet of Things: Technologies and Applications (2019Fall, 2020Fall)
- [HITsz-UG] Smart City (2019Spring)
- [HITsz-PG] Smart City (2019Fall, 2020Fall)
- [HITsz-PG] Academic Thinking and Writting (2020Fall)
- Editorial Board Member: Advanced Engineering Informatics (SCI, IF=5.603) (2021-Present)
- Guest Editor: Special issue "Data Analytics and Blockchain in Transport Systems", Sustainability (SSCI)
- Guest Editor: Special issue "Smart and Sustainable Multimodal Transportation", Sustainability (SSCI)
- Guest Editor: Special issue "AI and Big Data in Shipping", Maritime Policy and Management (SSCI)
- Guest Editor: Special issue "Intelligent Decision Making for Service and Manufacturing Industries", Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing (SCI)
- Session Chair: Regular Session "Reliable and Civilized Transportation", CICTP 2021, Xi'an, China, 2018.
- Session Chair: Special Session "Smart Transportation in Industrial Parks", INFORMS 2018 International Meeting, Taipei, Taiwan, China, 2018.
- Session Chair: Regular Session "Intelligent Transportation Systems", IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (IEEE CASE), Xi'an, China, 2017.
- Organizing Committee Member: The 7th Forum for Council of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management Department Heads (CIEDH2016) and The 5th Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers Asian Conference (IISEAsia2016), Hong Kong SAR, P.R. China, 2016
- Secretary: The 5th POMS-HK International Conference, Hong Kong SAR, P.R. China, 2014
- Chairman: HUST Microsoft Technology Club (Affiliated to Microsoft Research Asia), 2009.06~2010.09.
Honors and Awards
- 2021.12: Recommend Excellent Paper, The 16th International Symposium on Emergency Management, Beijing, China.
- 2021.08: Best Student Paper Award Finalist, 2021 IEEE 17th International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, Lyon, France.
- 2020.10: Best Application Paper Award, 2020 Annual International Conference for Chinese Scholars in Industrial Engineering (CSIE2020), Zhuhai, China.
- 2018.11: Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Cleaner Production (SCI Q1, IF=5.651), Elsevier.
- 2017.10: The 2nd Prize, Tianchi AI Competition for Aviation (Rank 2/1644).
- 2017.02: Outstanding Reviewer, Advanced Engineering Informatics (SCI Q1, IF=3.358), Elsevier.
- 2015.05: Young Author Prize, 2015 IFAC Symposium on Information Control in Manufacturing, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2013.12: Honorable Mention Best Paper Award, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2022.03: “The Impact of Covid-19 on Air Transport Network” (Online), UNSW-PolyU Joint Virtual Workshop.
- 2021.09: “From RPg Students to Supervisors” (Online), Chang'an University, Xi'an, China.
- 2018.10: “Internet of Things for Smart Logistics”, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2017.11: “Industrial Internet of Things: Technologies and Applications”, College of Mechanical Engineering, Chongqing University, Chongqing, China.
- 2017.06: “AIS Data Analytics for Adaptive Rotating Shift in Vessel Traffic Service”, China Institute of FTZ Supply Chain, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai, China.
- 2017.06: “Data Driven Resilient Fleet Management for Cloud Asset-enabled Urban Flood Control”, Research Center of Intelligent Transportation System, School of Engineering, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China.
- 2016.11: “Cloud Asset Management for Urban Flood Control”, School of Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Guangdong University of Technology, Guangzhou, China.
- 2015.12: “RFID-enabled BIM Platform for Prefabrication Housing Production in Hong Kong”, High-Level Talents Salon of Hangzhou Chengxi Sci-Tech Innovation Zone, Hangzhou, China.